Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Week Five - Culture Insights

During my stay here in Ireland I have been able to pick up on a few differences between our two cultures.  Some of the differences that I have noticed include the views on religion and drinking habits.

To start most of the local Irish that I have talked to make the claim that to be Irish you are also Catholic.  I think that the main reason that all Irish people make this claim comes from when there was so much turmoil during religious prosecution in European countries.  During the civil war in Ireland the two sides were split based on religious views.  This kind of separation between the religions in Ireland have caused  some parts of the country to be like a puzzle.  This sense that even parts of a city have boundaries seem really confusing at first, but when I step back and look it seems fairly similar to segregation we had before the civil rights movement.  The real difference is that there segregation is still affecting the country today, while we seem to have moved passed ours for the most part.

Meal Quality from a pub
Another huge difference that I have noticed is when I spend some time in the local pubs.  Many of the locals will only have 1-2 pints before they are done at the pub.  This also includes locals around the same age as myself.  This is unique because all you ever hear about in the United States is underage drinking and binge drinking at parties.  The idea of a lower drinking age and being more involved in teaching youth how to drink responsibly is a great idea.  While talking with locals about the two drinking cultures I feel that the safer and more understood is that of the Irish Culture.


Breakfast is Served All Day
 The reason I feel this way is because more youth here understand the dangers of drinking.  This allows for more people to drink socially and to have a great time.  While pubs are like bars, bars are not like pubs.  The reason that I say this is because when in a pub, you can get restaurant quality food.  This is the main difference that distinguishes the two from each other.




This is how I have seen the two different culture.  While both are strangely similar, they each have their own unique aspects that show the greatness in each culture.
Small Church on Aran Islands
Church around Trim Castle




 













More Travel Experiences to Come

Kyle Halsted
Ireland Study Abroad

No comments:

Post a Comment